Your child may be sent home from school should an emergency occur, e.g. failure of the school’s heating plant in winter. In very stormy/snowy weather the school may dismiss early to allow children home before bad road conditions and darkness make walking home unsafe. These situations rarely occur but, for reasons of safety, you will be asked to provide the school with an emergency address and contact when you enrol your child and an annual review of these addresses is made at the beginning of each winter. We would always try to contact parents/carers first however would use the Emergency Contact if this were not possible. Your emergency contact would then inform you that School is closed and that your child is safe with them.
Parents should note that Head Teachers have total discretion as to the closure of schools when they anticipate storm/snow conditions that would put children and staff at risk.
- In the event of an emergency closure, North Sound Radio will be contacted to help relay this information to parents.
- Emergency closure procedures are as follows:
- OPTION 1 – ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL WEBSITE. THE WEB ADDRESS IS – www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/closure.
- OPTION 2 – TELEPHONE THE SCHOOL INFORMATION LINE – 0870 054 1999. YOU WILL THEN BE ASKED FOR A UNIQUE PIN NUMBER FOR KITTYBREWSTER. THIS NUMBER IS 011460. THIS WILL UPDATE YOU WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF PLAY.
- IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE THERE ARE REGULAR UPDATES ON NORTHSOUND RADIO AND BBC RADIO SCOTLAND.
- Please also be aware that the decision to close the school can be due to staff shortages if members of staff who live out with the city are unable to travel because of the road conditions.